My science experiment

This term we have been experimenting with different materials to test which one would be the best to make a blanket out of. Yesterday we conducted an experiment called ‘Leak, soak or repel’. The aim of the experiment was to test the absorbency of water on different materials.

The materials we used were cotton, wool, polar fleece and neoprene. To set up the experiment, we needed four see-through cups, our four materials, four rubber bands and some coloured water. To set up the experiment, we put the materials over the cups, using the rubber bands to hold the materials in place. We used the same cups, we changed the materials we used and we checked wether the water soaked into the material, repelled of the material or leaked into the cup.

Our group predicted that the neoprene would repel the water, the cotton would let the water leak, The wool would soak the water and the fleece would soak the water.

We started off by putting the same amount of water on each material and we set a timer for thirty seconds. We observed what the water did. In the end, our results suggested that the neoprene repelled the water, the wool repelled the water, the fleece soaked the water and the cotton let the water leak.

Doing the experiment was really fun and I can’t wait to do another experiment.

2 comments

1. Andrei · August 6, 2019 at 10:38 am ·

Hi Austin,
    I like the sound of your experiment! Was the wool a loose or tight weave fabric? I’m interested in your thoughts as to why the wool repelled the water?
    I look forward to following more of your science experiments – keep up the great work!
    Andrei

2. petercbgs · August 20, 2019 at 2:07 am ·

Hi Austin this is Peter I like the post you did because you said that there was leak soak repel and that you gave the key information. Bye